Today we are kicking off National Library Legislative Day in Washington, D.C., and we are inviting you to help us spread the word about the importance of libraries in your own community. Today, take a few minutes to call or email your senators and representatives – just use the talking points and email templates below to craft your message!
What we’ll be talking about:
- House & Senate: Reauthorize the Museum and Library Services Act
- House & Senate: Fully Fund LSTA / IAL for FY 2019
- House & Senate: Support equitable access to broadband
Want a little more information? Tune in to this year’s policy briefing. Staff from the ALA Washington Office and other policy experts from Washington, D.C. will provide background information related to our asks, so you can be fully prepared to take action today. The livestream will run from 9 a.m. – 10 a.m. eastern.
Ready to take action?
Head to the ALA Action Center to find talking points and email templates to use when you call or email your elected officials. Don’t forget to personalize your email! Your members of Congress are most interested in the libraries in their state or district – use stories or data from your area to increase the impact of your email.
Want to do more? Be sure to refer to our Advocacy Toolkit for social media tips and other advocacy activities. The toolkit includes:
- Social media graphics
- Sample tweets and posts
- Project ideas
- Letter and email templates
- Phone call guide
- Flyers for your library
We know that libraries are essential institutions in America today and we cannot thank you enough for your commitment to speaking up for libraries and everything they do to support their communities!
Latest posts by Lisa Lindle (see all)
- Encouraging library patrons to participate in democracy through being poll workers - September 24, 2018
- Successful voter outreach: Five ways to get your patrons ready for Election Day - August 29, 2018
- Attending National Library Legislative Day - May 31, 2018