This is a guest post from Jennifer Manning, Program Director of AspireIT Partnerships at the National Center for Women & Information Technology, which works with the ALA Washington Office’s Libraries Ready to Code initiative and NCWIT AspireIT to connect young women program leaders to public libraries to design and implement coding programs for K-12 girls in an exciting pilot project.
Girls and women in the U.S. are avid users of technology, but they are significantly underrepresented in its creation (www.ncwit.org/thefactsgirls). National Center for Women & Information Technology (NCWIT) AspireIT can help libraries inspire more girls to become technology innovators.
AspireIT connects high school and college-aged members of our Aspirations in Computing community with K-12 girls interested in computing. Using a near-peer model, AspireIT Leaders teach younger girls fundamentals in programming and computational thinking in fun, creative environments that are supported by Partner Organizations from the NCWIT community. The relationship between the AspireIT Leaders and their AspireIT Partner Organizations fosters mentoring with technical professionals, increases young women’s confidence in their computing abilities, and develops valuable leadership skills.
To date, NCWIT has gifted more than $800,000 to 300 programs, providing an estimated 240,000 instruction hours to nearly 8,000 girls in 40 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. Virgin Islands since 2013. since 2013. AspireIT aims to engage more than 10,000 girls by 2018.
The AspireIT Partner Organization role connects you with AspireIT Leaders from our Aspirations in Computing community to share their passion by facilitating K-12 computing education in your local community, inspire future innovators, and give back. Not to mention we will provide non-profit organizations with up to $3,000 in support to run these programs!
We are in the process of opening our next round of AspireIT funding, for programs occurring between October 15, 2018 and June 14, 2019. Matching opens on May 1, 2018 and applications are due on July 1, 2018.
- Fill out a new interest request so potential AspireIT Leaders can connect with you.
- Sign up as a potential AspireIT Partner Organization and share this opportunity with others throughout your network.
- Join us on May 23, 2018, at 12 p.m. PT/3 p.m. ET for an informational webinar: https://cuboulder.zoom.us/j/107679832
Questions? Email the team at AspireIT@ncwit.org
Latest posts by Marijke Visser (see all)
- Ready to Code libraries in Rochester team up, offer coding education to underserved youth - July 17, 2018
- Ready to Code library promotes computational thinking with FarmBot app - July 10, 2018
- Ready to Code with Feathered Friends - July 3, 2018