Since 11 a.m. last Thursday (and as of 5 p.m. this afternoon), there have been 3,838 tweets under the #saveIMLS hashtag on Twitter. That is over 767 tweets a day. Or, sliced another way, there are currently 1,800 people who are participating in the conversation on Twitter. Anyway you dice it, we need this momentum to continue.
As we march towards the next phase of the appropriations process, we need to keep IMLS at the center of the conversation. We need you to keep beating the drum and sharing your stories.
How can you tell an impactful story?
- First, look up what IMLS does for you specifically. Search their database to see what they have funded in your zip code.
- Then, pick a project (from the database or one you already know about) and tweet about it’s impact with the hashtag #saveIMLS. (Bonus points: Enter your zip code into GovTrack so you can find and tag your Senator or representative; their social media information is listed.)
While your “numbers” — how many computers, how many programs, how many books, how many patrons — are very important, the best kind of stories talk about how IMLS or LSTA funding has helped you to contribute to the “big picture.” A powerful story from your Congressional district can and will move mountains.
Here are some examples, from the 3,838 tweets, that we thought were great. Keep it coming!
Stay tuned for more information, particularly as it pertains to the upcoming advocacy campaign around “Dear Appropriator” letters. Meanwhile, subscribe to our action alerts to ensure you receive the latest updates on the budget process.
Latest posts by Emily Wagner (see all)
- Libraries educate today’s workforce for tomorrow’s careers - August 15, 2018
- ALA announces Google Policy Fellow for 2018 - April 27, 2018
- Making space for libraries on Capitol Hill during National Library Week - April 9, 2018