Nominations are now being accepted for the 2017 WHCLIST award, which is sponsored by the White House Conference on Library and Information Services Taskforce (WHCLIST) and the ALA Washington Office. Non-librarian participants of National Library Legislative Day (NLLD) are eligible for a chance to have some of their travel expenses for the event covered. The winner receives a stipend of $300 and two free nights at the Liaison hotel.
WHCLIST has been an effective force in library advocacy nationally, statewide and locally since the White House Conferences on Library and Information Services in 1979 and 1991. WHCLIST has provided its assets to the ALA Washington Office to transmit its spirit of dedicated, passionate library support to a new generation of advocates. Both ALA and WHCLIST are committed to ensuring the American people get the best library services possible.
The criteria for the WHCLIST Award are:
- The recipient should be a library supporter (trustee, friend, general supporter) and not a professional librarian.
- Recipient should be a first-time attendee of NLLD.
- Representatives of WHCLIST and the ALA Washington office will choose the recipient. The ALA Washington Office will contact the recipient’s senators and representatives to announce the award. The winner of the WHCLIST Award will be announced at NLLD.
The deadline for applications is April 1, 2017.
To apply for the WHCLIST award, please submit a completed NLLD registration form; a letter explaining why you should receive the award; and a letter of reference from a library director, school librarian, library board chair, Friend’s group chair, or other library representative to:
Grassroots Communications Coordinator
American Library Association
1615 New Hampshire Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20009
Note: Applicants must register for NLLD and pay all associated costs. Applicants must make their own travel arrangements. The winner will be reimbursed for two free nights in the NLLD hotel in D.C and receive the $300 stipend to defray the costs of attending the event.
Latest posts by Lisa Lindle (see all)
- Not at #NLLD18? You can still take action! - May 7, 2018
- 2018 WHCLIST award winner announced - April 16, 2018
- Free webinar: advice from former congressional staffers - April 3, 2018