For the last 65 years the ALA Washington Office has worked diligently to represent the interests of libraries on Capitol Hill. We scrutinize the 10,000 bills introduced in every Congressional session, defend funding levels for various federal programs, pursue positive policy outcomes, build relationships with all 535 members of Congress and alert ALA members to opportunities to impact legislation.
After six decades of working the D.C. scene, we’ve learned a thing or two about how Washington works (or doesn’t). Many of the ALA’s successful tactics are highlighted in The Influence Game: 50 Insider Tactics from the Washington D.C. Lobbying World that Will Get You to Yes (Wiley), a new book by longtime ALA friend and Advocacy Guru Stephanie Vance. In it, Stephanie dispenses everything she’s learned in her 20+ years of experience as a lobbyist, Congressional staffer and ALA consultant about effective and, believe it or not, honest persuasion. Perhaps most important, she shows readers how to apply these tactics to their own influence situations — from the business world to the non-profit community and from D.C. to town hall.
We’re pleased to offer several near-term opportunities for ALA members to connect with Stephanie and discuss some of the secrets outlined in this book, including:
- An online session on June 13th at 4:00pm eastern, where you’ll learn 10 tactics to increase your library’s perceived value and demonstrate why you are one of the best investments around. All attendees will be entered into a raffle to win a copy of the book!
- If 10 tactics aren’t enough, you’ll get 10 more during the annual conference at our “Elections and You” session from 10:30am to 12:00pm PST in the Hilton Anaheim’s Palos Verdes room. The campaign season is an ideal time to capture everyone’s attention and clarify your library’s critical role in our nation’s democracy. More about the ALA annual session here: http://ala12.scheduler.ala.org/node/1353,
- If you want to get all 50 tactics (and a signed copy of the book to boot!), stop by the ALA’s Advocacy Corner in the convention hall from 2:00 to 2:30pm on Saturday June 23rd.
- We’ll also be giving away a few free copies of the book at various OGR programs throughout Annual. Check out our schedule here.
We first met Stephanie when she was Legislative Director for library champion Congressman Earl Blumenauer (D-OR). When she started her consulting and training firm over 10 years ago, her very first client was a library system that hired her to speak at their conference. She’s part of our team and through The Influence Game she can be part of yours. You can learn more about her book at www.theinfluencegame.com — and we hope to see you soon!
Latest posts by TWegner (see all)
- Is Snowden a Whistleblower? - January 21, 2014
- Librarians Care About the Public Domain: Free State Government Information - January 14, 2014
- Copyright review continues in House of Representatives - November 20, 2013