Yes, the deadline for filing round one applications just passed. But the deadline for submitting comments on the process is August 31 – next Monday! Consequently, ALA invites the library community to send comments to the Washington Office so that we can file an integrated submission on behalf of the library community. Under the rubric of the Paperwork Reduction Act, NTIA will summarize the responses it receives and submit them to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB). Our comments will also become a part of the public record.
As outlined in the Notice of Funds Availability , the invitation to submit comments covers a broad range of issues related to the mechanics and administration of the application process. Your thoughts on the following topics are especially desired:
- ways to enhance the quality, utility and clarity of the information to be collected
- ways to minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology
- the extent to which the application process inhibited or discouraged your application to BTOP and BIP.
If you have any comments to be incorporated into ALA’s submission, please e-mail them to Alan Inouye by Sunday, August 30, 10:00 a.m. (eastern time). We must complete our draft by early Monday morning to allow time for editing, internal review, and submission to NTIA by the close of business of August 31.
By the way, congratulations to those of you who successfully navigated a completed application to BTOP or BIP.
Note that ALA’s current request focuses on the mechanics and administration of the grant application process. We expect the Departments of Commerce and Agriculture to request comments on the substantive aspects of the grant programs in the coming weeks.
Latest posts by Jacob Roberts (see all)
- The 113th Congress and the Library Community [webinar archive] - January 24, 2013
- The ALA honors five local libraries for offering cutting-edge services - January 22, 2013
- Are you attending ALA Midwinter? Join us for the Edge Update on Saturday, Jan. 26 - January 15, 2013