I am excited to announce the opening of the virtual ALA Washington Office in the online environment Second Life. When users create a “second life” by joining, they create an avatar that represents them in the online world. If you do not have a Second Life account, you can join for free (or pay for premium access) at http://www.secondlife.com.
The Washington Office is located in Cybrary City next to several other libraries. Cybrary City is one of several islands that librarians are using on Second Life to provide services to the users of this community. Traditional library services — such as collection building, reference, and community gathering — have all been incorporated into this virtual world. More information on activities can be found at http://www.infoisland.org. In addition, and as I can attest to (special thanks to all of the librarians that have helped me), the librarians of Second Life help new users acclimate themselves to Second Life and have begun hosting events for all to attend. To visit our virtual office, simply visit the SLURL (Second Life URL):
At present, you can find the following items in the virtual office:
* An introduction to the Washington Office
* Information on upcoming activities at Midwinter and National Library Legislation Day.
* An interactive computer that will point users to ALA Washington online resources, including the District Dispatch podcast and blog.
* A slideshow of pictures of our office and staff.
In Second Life, I, Mark Bard of OITP, go by the name Galen Noltenius. Please feel free to stop by the virtual office on January 10, from 4-5 EST (1-2 in Second Life, which operates on PST). I will be happy to answer any questions you have about the Washington Office and/or Second Life.
The ALA Washington Office and ALA as a whole are determining what services our members would like us to provide in this online environment. What would you like to see from ALA and/or the Washington Office on Second Life? Please leave any suggestions using the comment link below, at the Shifted Librarian Blog or join me “in world.”
Latest posts by Jacob Roberts (see all)
- The 113th Congress and the Library Community [webinar archive] - January 24, 2013
- The ALA honors five local libraries for offering cutting-edge services - January 22, 2013
- Are you attending ALA Midwinter? Join us for the Edge Update on Saturday, Jan. 26 - January 15, 2013