Those interesting in participating in National Library Legislative Day 2018 take note – nominations are now being accepted for the 2018 WHCLIST award. The award, sponsored by the White House Conference on Library and Information Services Taskforce (WHCLIST) and the ALA Washington Office, is open to non-librarian, first time participants of National Library Legislative Day (NLLD). WHCLIST winners receive a stipend of $300 and two free nights at the Liaison Hotel, where NLLD 2018 will be hosted.
Over the years, WHCLIST has been an effective force in library advocacy on the national stage, as well as statewide and locally. To transmit its spirit of dedicated, passionate library support to a new generation of advocates, WHCLIST provided its assets to the ALA Washington Office to fund this award. Both ALA and WHCLIST are committed to ensuring the American people get the best library services possible.
To apply for the WHCLIST Award, nominees must meet the following criteria:
- The recipient should be a library supporter (trustee, friend, general advocate, etc), and not a professional librarian (this includes anyone currently employed by a library).
- Recipient should be a first-time attendee of NLLD.
- Should have a history of supporting librarians and library work in their community.
Representatives of WHCLIST and the ALA Washington Office will choose the recipient. The winner of the WHCLIST Award will be announced at National Library Legislative Day by the President of the American Library Association.
The deadline for applications is April 2, 2018.
To apply for the WHCLIST award, please submit a completed NLLD registration form; a letter explaining why you should receive the award; and a letter of reference from a library director, school librarian, library board chair, Friend’s group chair, or other library representative to:
Manager, Advocacy and Grassroots Outreach
American Library Association
1615 New Hampshire Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20009
Note: Applicants must register for NLLD and pay all associated costs. Applicants must make their own travel arrangements. The winner will be reimbursed for two free nights in the NLLD hotel in D.C and receive the $300 stipend to defray the costs of attending the event.
Latest posts by Lisa Lindle (see all)
- Free webinar: Building Local Communities with Social Media - February 15, 2018
- 2018 WHCLIST award accepting nominations - January 10, 2018
- Campus Vote shares ideas, resources for libraries - January 3, 2018