This is a guest post from Jennifer Manning, Program Director of AspireIT Partnerships at the National Center for Women & Information Technology. The ALA Washington Office’s Libraries Ready to Code initiative and NCWIT AspireIT are partners in connecting young women program leaders to public libraries to design and implement coding programs for K-12 girls in an exciting pilot project.
Girls and women in the U.S. are avid users of technology, but they are significantly underrepresented in its creation. NCWIT AspireIT can help libraries inspire more girls to become technology innovators.
AspireIT connects high school and college-aged members of our Aspirations in Computing community with K-12 girls interested in computing. Using a near-peer model, AspireIT Leaders teach younger girls fundamentals in programming and computational thinking in fun creative environments that are supported by Partner Organizations from the NCWIT community. The relationship between the AspireIT Leaders and their AspireIT Partner Organizations fosters mentoring with technical professionals, increases young women’s confidence in their computing abilities, and develops valuable leadership skills.
To date, NCWIT has gifted more than $800,000 to 300 programs, providing an estimated 240,000 instruction hours to nearly 8,000 girls in 40 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. Virgin Islands since 2013. since 2013. AspireIT aims to engage more than 10,000 girls by 2018.
The AspireIT Partner Organization role connects you with AspireIT Leaders from our Aspirations in Computing community to share their passion by facilitating K-12 computing education in your local community, inspire future innovators, and give back. Not to mention – we will provide non-profit organizations with up to $3,000 in support to run these programs! Visit our AspireIT Toolkit to view the current RFP and application.
We are in the process of opening our next round of AspireIT funding, for programs occurring between June 15, 2018, and October 14, 2018. Matching is open now, applications will officially open on February 1, 2018, and are due on March 11, 2018. Please fill out a new interest request so that potential AspireIT Leaders can connect with you.
- Join us via Zoom on Monday, February 5, 2018, at 3pmET for a Q&A session for more information on being an AspireIT Partner organization.
- If you missed the “Overview for AspireIT Partner Organization” Webinar on January 18 and would like to know what it means to be a Partner Organization, review these Slides and the webinar recording.
- Email the team: AspireIT@ncwit.org
Latest posts by Marijke Visser (see all)
- YX librarians at MidWinter 2018: Confidence and facilitation is key for youth tech programs - February 7, 2018
- Computing in libraries: Funding open for AspireIT summer program - February 6, 2018
- NCWIT AspireIT funding open for summer - January 25, 2018