Our February 2 CopyTalk is going to be quite interesting. Its title is “Open Access Piracy: Sci-Hub and #icanhazpdf as Resource Sharing.”
Many of you have probably heard about the infamous SciHub website that provides free access to costly scholarly journals that libraries often buy. Our speakers will discuss the use of popular resource sharing methods like SciHub that may violate copyright and database terms of service, including what these users think of the potentially copyright infringing action that they take. This webinar will include a review some empirical evidence that places these non-library resource sharing methods in context with their legal library counterparts. What motivates people who engage in this resource sharing? Do they have access through libraries? And what are the implications for libraries?
Information about our speakers:
- Carolyn Caffrey Gardner is the Information Literacy Coordinator at California State University, Dominguez Hills. After completing her MLS from Indiana University Bloomington, she worked as an instructional librarian at University of Wisconsin-Superior and the University of Southern California, where she focused on the intersections of first-year writing programs and information literacy instruction. Her research interests include critical pedagogy and assessment, peer-to-peer scholarly resource sharing through social media, and information literacy collaborations in higher education.
- Gabriel J. Gardner is the librarian for criminal justice, linguistics, and Romance, German, and Russian languages & literatures at California State University Long Beach. He has been working in libraries since 2008 with experience in public, college, and archival settings. His research interests include scholarly communication in the broadest sense, intellectual freedom, and the effectiveness of library privacy efforts.
Mark your calendars and set aside some time for this free webinar. You deserve it!
Date: Thursday, February 2, 2017
Time: 2:00 p.m. Eastern / 11:00 a.m. Pacific
Duration: One hour
Go to http://ala.adobeconnect.com/copytalk and sign in as a guest.
This program is brought to you by OITP’s copyright education subcommittee.
Latest posts by Carrie Russell (see all)
- Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing on the Marrakesh Treaty - April 19, 2018
- Watch Senate hearing on Marrakesh Treaty Implementation Act April 18 - April 11, 2018
- CopyTalk: Are librarians confident assessing fair use? - March 27, 2018