There are probably a hundred reasons why the Senate should immediately vote – and unanimously at that — to confirm Dr. Carla Hayden to serve as the next Librarian of Congress. With the clock ticking down to zero this week on its pre-recess calendar, here are our top ten for the Senate to award her the job now:
- She brought Baltimore’s large historic library system into the 21st Century and she’ll do the same for the Library of Congress.
- The nation’s Library has been led by a library professional three times before in its history; its technology and organizational needs demand a fourth now.
- The Senate Rules Committee approved her without dissent by voice vote.
- Every state and major national library association in America strongly back her confirmation.
- University of Chicago PhDs don’t come in cereal boxes.
- Breathing new life into the Library of Congress demands Dr. Hayden’s deep understanding of technology, opportunity and community.
- The world’s greatest library deserves to be led by one of Fortune Magazine’s 50 “World’s Greatest Leaders” for 2016.
- Congress and the public it serves needs the best possible librarian as the Librarian.
- It’s hard to find anything or anyone else that the Copyright Alliance and Internet Association agree on.
- “Vacancy” is the sign you want to see on a motel marquee at the end of a long drive, not on the Librarian of Congress’ chair at the beginning of a new Congress.
Ask your Senators to confirm Dr. Carla Hayden today – visit the Action Center for additional talking points and pre-written tweets messages.