Last Thursday, First Lady Michelle Obama joined Institute of Museum and Library Services Director Susan H. Hildreth to award exemplary libraries and museums National Medals for their service to their communities. Now in its 20th year, the National Medal is the nation’s highest honor conferred on museums and libraries, and celebrates institutions that make a difference for individuals, families, and communities.
This year’s honorees exemplify the nation’s great diversity of libraries and museums and include a natural history museum, a children’s museum, an aquarium, a natural sciences museum, a botanic garden, public library systems, and a book center.
The following libraries received National Medals:
- Chicago Public Library, Chicago, Ill.
- Las Vegas-Clark County Library District, Las Vegas, Nev.
- Mid-Continent Public Library, Independence, Mo.
- Octavia Fellin Public Library, Gallup, N.M.
- Yiddish Book Center, Amherst, Mass.
The next deadline for nominating a museum or library is October 15, 2014. Learn more about the National Medal.