For the past two years,the American Library Association has worked with publishers, authors and vendors to advocate for fair library ebooks lending practices. Now, ALA leaders are encouraging others to join the ebook library lending discussion by registering for the American Library Association’s Virtual Town Hall on Ebooks, an interactive online session that will take place from 11 a.m.- noon Central time, Wednesday, October 23, 2013. Register now.
Town hall participants will have the opportunity to join ALA President Barbara Stripling, Immediate Past President Maureen Sullivan, and the leadership of the ALA’s Digital Content Working Group (DCWG) to learn about ALA ebook activities, plans and future directions. Panelists will provide views on the current digital publishing climate and discuss ways that ALA can better advocate for important library interests.
The virtual town hall also will explore emerging subjects in the ebook lending arena, including digital preservation, self-publisher engagement and libraries as publishers. An audience question-and-answer period will immediately follow the panel discussion.
- Barbara Stripling, ALA president;
- Maureen Sullivan, ALA immediate past president;
- Keith Michael Fiels, ALA executive director;
- Sari Feldman, executive director of the Cuyahoga County Public Library and DCWG co-chair;
- Robert Wolven, associate university librarian of Columbia University and DCWG co-chair;
- Alan S. Inouye, director of ALA’s Office for Information Technology Policy.