The American Library Association (ALA) Office for Information Technology Policy (OITP) and the Library & Information Technology Association (LITA) are extending the deadline for submitting nominations for best library practices using cutting-edge technology to November 8.
“We know libraries of all types are serving their communities with novel and innovative methods, and we want to collect as many examples of this work as possible,” said Christine Hage, chair of the Cutting-edge Technology in Library Services selection committee. “We’ve kept the nomination process simple so we can focus on the content, and we hope a little extra time will encourage more libraries to share their work with us.”
Last year, four libraries were cited for their work: Creekview High School in Canton, Ga.; Orange County Library System in Orlando, Fla.; North Carolina State University Libraries in Raleigh, N.C.; and OhioLINK in Columbus, Ohio.
Members from the Subcommittee on America’s Libraries for the 21st Century and LITA will review all nominations and may conduct selected interviews or site visits to identify those libraries that are truly offering a best practice or most innovative service. Libraries or library service areas selected will be publicized via the OITP and LITA websites, highlighted through ALA publications, and featured in a program at the ALA Annual Conference in 2012.
“Cutting edge” refers to tested and successful implementations of technological advancements used in services such as:
- Improvements in traditional services and processes by inventing/re-inventing/twisting technology
- Introduction of new, innovative services that are flexible and responsive to community needs
- Methods for connecting libraries to their communities
- Funding initiatives or organizational models that ensure library information technology will remain current
Additional details, including submission information, for the nomination process can be found at ala.org/cuttingedge.
Latest posts by Jacob Roberts (see all)
- The 113th Congress and the Library Community [webinar archive] - January 24, 2013
- The ALA honors five local libraries for offering cutting-edge services - January 22, 2013
- Are you attending ALA Midwinter? Join us for the Edge Update on Saturday, Jan. 26 - January 15, 2013