As of 4:30 p.m., April 8, ALA does not know nor can it predict whether there will be a federal government shutdown, but the IRS has reached out to provide preliminary public information knowing many people are using libraries for tax assistance and online filing. While this is NOT an official statement from the IRS, and it is subject to change, we wanted to share information with members from our briefing this afternoon. In the event of a shutdown, the IRS will post specific information at www.irs.gov. Other federal agencies will likely do the same on their respective websites.
Here is a preliminary indication of what IRS services may continue or temporarily cease:
- Taxpayers are still expected to meet the filing deadline of April 18th
- E-filing 1040 forms will continue to be processed.
- Refunds for people and businesses who filed electronically will be issued.
- Paper returns will experience delayed processing, but checks will be cashed even if the return is not processed.
- The 800 number will be open, but services will be limited:
o Anticipate longer wait times for individual assistance.
o Website will be available, but some interactive features may not be available.
o The “Where’s My Refund?” tracking service will still be available online.
o There will be no assistance for non-1040 filers on the 800 number.
- Taxpayer assistance centers will be closed
o Prescheduled appointments will not be honored. If a taxpayer has made an appointment, it will need to be rescheduled.
- Taxpayer advocates will be closed (no face-to-face) interaction.
- People with audits, collections and appeals appointments should assume these meetings are cancelled.
- There will be no assistance available for people reporting identity theft.
- IRS will not process paper correspondence.
Any updates on potential reopening will be posted online at www.irs.gov. ALA also will provide updated information as it becomes available to us.
Latest posts by Kristin (see all)
- Ask Your Representative to Sign Two “Dear Colleagues” - May 16, 2011
- HEADS UP: Preliminary information about IRS services under a “shutdown” - April 8, 2011
- UPDATE: USA PATRIOT Act – Mid-week Congressional Update - February 9, 2011