The following is a press release from the federal Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) announcing a second opportunity for libraries to apply for Picturing America teaching tool. The deadline for applying is October 31, 2008.
Washington, DC – Libraries and schools have a second opportunity to apply for a wonderful, free teaching tool called Picturing America, announced Dr. Anne-Imelda Radice, Director of the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) on August 5, 2008. Picturing America, presented by the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) in partnership with IMLS, provides high-quality reproductions of great American art to public libraries and K-12 schools to enhance the study of history, social studies, language arts, literature, and civics.
Public libraries and public, private, parochial, charter, and home school groups (K-12) in the United States and its territories are eligible to receive Picturing America materials, which include:
* Forty large, high-quality color reproductions of the selected masterpieces (24″ x 36″)
* A comprehensive teacher’s resource book providing a wide range of ideas and background information to support educators using the works of art in core subject areas
* Lesson plans and additional resources available through the Picturing America Web site, PicturingAmerica.neh.gov
Also eligible are libraries with collections that circulate to the general public and those that offer reading programs to the public.
Application information can be found in the ‘Apply Now’ section of the Picturing America Web site, PicturingAmerica.neh.gov. Applications are currently being accepted now through October 31, 2008, with delivery scheduled for spring 2009. Please note that previous recipients of the Picturing America collection are not eligible for a second award.
To read the complete press release, please visit the IMLS website.
Latest posts by Jacob Roberts (see all)
- The 113th Congress and the Library Community [webinar archive] - January 24, 2013
- The ALA honors five local libraries for offering cutting-edge services - January 22, 2013
- Are you attending ALA Midwinter? Join us for the Edge Update on Saturday, Jan. 26 - January 15, 2013