Earlier this week, Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY) and Representative Mike Honda (D-CA) introduced the Strengthening Communities through Education and Integration Act (S.3334 and H.R. 6617). The Strengthening Communities through Education and Integration Act will help educate individuals in English literacy and civics education, invest in our workforce, and provide impact aid to assist local communities integrate new populations.
Please contact your Senators and Representative and ask them to sign the “Dear Colleague” letters being circulated in the Senate by Senator Clinton and in the House of Representatives by Representative Honda in support of the bill. Also ask your Senators and Representative to sign on as a co-sponsor of the bill.
When you contact your Senators and Representative, you must ask them to call Philip with Senator Clinton or Gloria with Representative Honda, in order to co-sign the letter. DO NOT CALL Philip or Gloria directly.
When contacting your Members of Congress prepare to state why this issue is of importance. With the growth of the English language learner population comes the urgent need to devote resources to education and ensuring that we fully embrace them into their communities. The Strengthening Communities through Education and Integration Act would:
Invest in adult education programs for English language learners:
· Increases our investment in adult education by codifying English literacy and civics adult education programs and creating a new appropriation for these programs.
Ensure that our nation’s children and schools have adequate funding and resources for vital literacy programs for English language learners:
· Increases the authorization for Even Start Family Literacy programs to $350 million.
· Provides resources for expanded learning time programs for English language learners in middle and high school.
Assist schools with teacher recruitment for English language learners:
· Creates a $1,500 tax credit for teachers of English language learners and a deduction for their certification.
Provide incentives for employers to offer adult education and ESL programs to their employees:
· Creates a 20% tax credit to employers that expend their resources to provide English language instruction and GED training.
Provide technical assistance and support to state and local efforts supporting newcomers:
· Re-establishes the Office of Citizenship in USCIS as the Office of Citizenship and Immigrant Integration, which would coordinate federal policies on integration and serve as a liaison to state and local entities
· Makes grant money available to states to establish New American Councils that bring together business, faith, civic, philanthropic, non-profit and education stakeholders to create and implement immigrant integration programs.
Mike Honda (D-CA)
Neil Abercrombie (HI-1)
Xavier Becerra (CA-31)
Madeleine Bordallo (GU)
Henry Cuellar (TX-28)
Keith Ellison (MN-5)
Rahm Emanuel (IL-5)
Eni Faleomavaega (AS)
Raul Grijalva (AZ-7)
Ruben Hinojosa (TX-15)
Mazie Hirono (HI-2)
Doris Matsui (CA-5)
Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (FL-18)
Hillary Clinton (D-NY)