The Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) is inviting proposals for statewide, collaborative planning grants to address the recommendations of the Heritage Health Index (HHI), a study conducted by Heritage Preservation in partnership with IMLS. HHI found the collections held in the public trust by libraries, museums and archives to be at great risk. The report offered four recommendations for collecting institutions:
- that they provide safe conditions for their collections;
- that they develop an emergency plan;
- that they assign responsibility for collections care; and
- that they marshal public and private support for and raise public awareness about collections care.
These grants are aimed at fostering effective partnerships among organizations that have a strong commitment to the collections stewardship goals of a given state, commonwealth or territory. Over the course of two years, IMLS hopes to make one grant to each eligible state or territory so that each of these entities can move closer to achieving the recommendations of the HHI through an appropriate and achievable plan for action.
Application guidelines are available in PDF format at www.imls.gov/applicants/grants/pdf/CtoC_2008.pdf (PDF, 608KB). Please note that the Institute will only accept applications submitted through Grants.gov, the federal government’s online application system. All applicants who are using Grants.gov must register with Grants.gov before submitting their application. Applicants who are not already registered should allow at least two weeks to complete this one-time process.
See http://www.imls.gov/applicants/grantsgov/checklist.shtm for more information on registration. Please direct any questions about the Statewide Planning Grants to Christine Henry, 202-653-4674, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline: October 16, 2007
Latest posts by Jacob Roberts (see all)
- The 113th Congress and the Library Community [webinar archive] - January 24, 2013
- The ALA honors five local libraries for offering cutting-edge services - January 22, 2013
- Are you attending ALA Midwinter? Join us for the Edge Update on Saturday, Jan. 26 - January 15, 2013